Breach of Duty, Community Nursing Falls General Nursing Pressure Sores
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Registered General Nurse (1983)
- Diploma In Community Health Studies :Special Practitioner District Nursing( 1991)
- Masters In Healthcare Management (2000)
- C&G Level 5 Diploma Health and Social Care Adults Residential Services (2012)
- Member of The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Member of The Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
- Member of Social Care Wales
I am a Registered Nurse (Specialist Practitioner) with 39 years post qualification experience.
I have considerable experience of supporting individuals living with complex conditions in the community both in the NHS and the independent sector across England ,Wales and Scotland. Since 2011 I have gained extensive experience of the care home sector.
My areas of special interest include complex care, pressure area care, medication management, falls, risk management, health and safety and mental capacity.
My immediate past experience includes working as a Regional Lead/Interim Head of Care for a housing association between July 2017 and December 2021. In this post I was responsible for the overall management of multiple services supporting individuals over the age of 55 categorised as individuals requiring general nursing care, individuals living with dementia requiring nursing care and individuals with or without dementia needing residential care. My responsibilities included clinical governance including quality improvement of service provision and human resources .At individual service level I was responsible for identifying any areas for improvement / non compliance with local or national standards and preparing action plans to support required service development.
During the COVID 19 pandemic I was responsible for reviewing infection control procedures and risk assessments across all operational sites, delivering targeting training to specific areas.
At individual practitioner level I was responsible for implementation of human resource policies including capability and performance management. I provided clinical leadership to home managers / deputies, advising on strategies for very complex service users and advice on safeguarding issues and mental capacity concerns and deprivation of liberty safeguards.
Immediately prior to that I worked for 2.5 years as a care home manager at an 86 bed care home. The home supported individuals requiring general care and individuals living with dementia. I managed the home through a major refurbishment, stabilised the workforce and implemented new ways of working.
My responsibility included the assessment and acceptance of individuals into the home ensuring that the home could meet their needs both from a care and equipment basis. I dealt with carer recruitment, development, supervision, and human resources leading to a transformation and improvement of the service .
I have extensive experience of working in care homes and other community settings since 2011 and have detailed my earlier work roles below.
I understand my responsibilities under Part 35 of the Civil Procedure Rules pertaining to expert witnesses. I have undertaken training in the role of the expert witness.
- Regional Lead / Interim Head of Care Hafod Housing Association July 2017 – Dec 2021
- Home Manager Quarry Hall Cardiff (86 bed)-HC-One January 2015- July 2017
- Project Manager Wales and South West –Orchard Care Homes December 2013-January 2015
- Responsible for supporting managers in care homes across Wales and South West of England
- Burges House Cardiff –Manager September 2012-January 2014
- Responsible for the management of a care home supporting 77 Individuals
- Case Manager Self Employed Oct 2011-January 2013
- Case manager for 3 individuals with a variety of needs
- Brindavan Care Home Limited Oct 2011-September 2012
- Manager EMI Nursing Home
- Responsible for the management of a care home supporting 32 individuals
- Independent Clinical Services Sept 2009 – Oct 2011
- Community Nurse Manager
- Led a team in developing a Continuing HeathCare Service across England, Scotland and Wales
- Ty Pentwyn Nursing Home / Everycare Agency April 2009-Sept 2009
- Pontypridd and Rhondda NHS Trust – 1997 – April 2009
- Community Manager [District Nursing]
- Responsible for the management of District Nursing Services, Tissue Viability Service and Continuing Health Care individuals.
- RCT Local Health Group – December 2000 – November 2001
- Senior Nurse – Continuing Health Care (2 day secondment in addition to substantive post)
- Supporting mainly out of county care packages
- Rhondda NHS Trust – Professional Support and Advisor District Nursing – February 1996 – March 1997 (Secondment)
- Responsible for clinical standards and developing practice
- Rhondda NHS Trust – Community Sister 1994 – 1996: April 1997 -August 1997
- Responsible for the management of a caseload or patients attached to a GP surgery
EARLIER NURSING POSTS
Rhondda NHS Trust – Community Staff Nurse 1985 – 1994
East Glamorgan Unit – Staff Nurse 1983 – 1985
Student Nurse 1980 – 1983
What our clients say...
Dear Kathy … I just wanted to say thank you so much for your patience and assistance over the past few days. Your evidence was excellent
Sinead Swan – Ivor Fitzpatrick
Thanks for your support on this. You may like to note that the case settled for a value that reflected the evidence Mr Webb gave being accepted in full by the court
Simon Harrington, Irwin Mitchell
Dear Jodie, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to you for the ‘work’ which you put into my case and endeavoured to help the case come to a successful conclusion. it is wonderful that my two daughters and rest of my family now have some Justice for Bryan’s untimely death. Somewhat difficult to believe what has just happened after five years. Very many thanks, kind regards and good wishes for Christmas
PS Client Feedback
Hi Sue, you were first class. Also regards to Maggie Sargent and her premier quality team!
Philip Smith – Beauchamps
Maggie Sargent is a star – not just a leader in her field but a legend – her experience is unmatched, her knowledge impressive and her application sophisticated.
Paul Paxton – Stewarts
Can I take this opportunity in thanking you on behalf of our client and his parents. You did a tremendous job. We could not have achieved such a high settlement without your skill, expertise, and input. The family are very grateful to you
Paul McNeil – Fieldfisher
I have worked with Maggie Sargent for more that 25 years. She is the best expert I have ever instructed. She is exceptional in court and brilliant with clients. I cannot recommend her highly enough.
Partner, Field Fisher
Your report was superb thank you. I’m so very grateful to you for covering so very clearly and thoroughly all the possible outcomes of this complex case – and also the consistency with the medical evidence.
Ms L Jackson – Hockfield & Co
It has been an absolute pleasure working with you again and we thank you for your expert assistance. Your assistance has enabled us to provide what is a fabulous settlement for our client which will provide him with lifelong financial security.
Kate Nicklin – Slater & Gordon
‘The Claimant’s evidence as to the value of the nursing care she provided to Mr Grant was given by Ms Jodie Brookes. She is a registered nurse. The majority of her career has been spent managing care facilities in the private sector. She specialises in palliative care and has considerable experience nursing patients with mesothelioma. Ms Brookes gave careful and impressive oral evidence. She made concessions where appropriate, yet demonstrated that her conclusions were based on a careful review both of the medical notes and of what the Claimant had told her when she visited’.
Judgement of Martin Chamberlain QC